:: Re: [DNG] system update
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Arnt Karlsen
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] system update
On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 08:28:35 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote in message
<CAPpdf5-e10TerShv36jDH=O1tcW10LwASN_aRChx+tUYNkykzw@???>:

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 7:56 AM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 15 Aug 2023 17:48:08 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote in message
> > <CAPpdf59hp=jPvG=--pr7hU1WJib59drcDKS1QpbwPAp5p+LSOw@???>:
> >
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > I've been running Daedalus since I installed it (quite a while ago
> > > now).
> > >
> > > Would like to update to 'Excalibur' (IIRC).
> >
> > ..join and help make it happen, should take a year of hard or
> > smart work, smartness helps ease the hard part of the work...
> >

> Daedalus is already "stable" - - - - as of Monday IIRC.

..yup, and Excalibur is our next one, swap out "Excalibur" for
"testing" if you wanna test new stuff _and_ trust Devuan to
decide your dist-upgrade time. ;o)
_If_ it works ok, as in leaving all your machines stable and
still fit for 24/7/365 service, a similar daring stunt can be
attempted for "stable." ;oD

> > > Do I do that by changing the 'name' in my apt sources file and
> > > then do a dist-upgrade?
> >
> > ..yep. You can do it now, if you are okay with new stuff crashing
> > your test machine park, for daily drivers or production machines
> > you need up 24/7, keep them on known stable releases until you are
> > confident they, and you, are ready for the dist-upgrade dance on
> > your 24/7 machines.
>
> Excalibur
> I moved from running Debian 'testing' to Devuan 'testing' except in
> Devuan the request is to use the code name rather than its function
> so I've been running Daedalus for since I think shortly after
> "chimaera" became 'stable'. Found very very few issues in running
> testing in some likely over 10 years of doing so. I've found more
> issues by running multiple monitors than for any other reason.

..on dare I say, Debian's X packages? I get the feeling they are set
up to promote Wayland and systemd etc pötter code by hardcoding weird
"newbie-safe" overt things like " -nolisten" and " -novtswitch", which
are fine on laptops in any dodgy internet cafe, but a big annoyance on
my own lan when I wanna do X things over e.g. ssh across my own damned
machines, suggests to me covert stuff blocking e.g. ssh, which is how
and why I've become sceptical of Debian as our upstream.

> > > (maybe there is a page on this somewhere - - - if so - - - a url
> > > please - - - - (I've been looking and haven't found anything to
> > > date).)
> >
> > ..until the Daedalus part is written, the
> > "Upgrade or Migrate to Chimaera" etc part of:
> > https://www.devuan.org/os/install and:
> > https://www.devuan.org/os/releases ...
> > should give you the general idea of how
> > dist-upgrade should work on any new release.
>
> Thanks!

..thank the guys who gets it done. :o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: