著者: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] Then Ian Jacksons Blog Post is all FUD (was Re: init scripts)
On Mon, Aug 07, 2023 at 08:31:48PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:

> Mucking around in a console during the installation is not for everybody
> so there is value in the Devuan installer where you can just take your
> pick of init system and have the installer take care of things for you.

Somewhere in history (possibly around jessie??) the debian installer had
been expected to provide a choice of init systems, between whatever they
originally used and systemd. But late in the release process, someone
noticed that the sode that actually asked the user what to do
had been left out. Despite requests to restore it, the decision was
that it was too late in the release process to make this possibly breaking
change.

Users who wanted other than systemd were told to make the change after
installation. although users who were merely upgrading did not have
systemd forced on them.

That was when I got on the Devuan bandwagon.

-- hendrik