:: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Inizio della pagina
Autore: al3xu5
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Mon, 7 Aug 2023 03:50:41 -0400 - Steve Litt <slitt@???>:

> Martin Steigerwald said on Sun, 06 Aug 2023 10:06:21 +0200
>
> >Lorenzo wrote he focussed on services, not on system initialization. I
> >expect system initialization to be hard to get right on all the kinds
> >of systems Debian and Devuan are used on.
>
> If people use a hybrid system, with sysvinit doing system
> initialization and runit running the daemons, we'll have lots of time
> to get system initialization right with a runit PID1 init system.

This seems an answer to a question I have.

Debian is going to drop SysV (first eliminating sysv scripts from
individual packages and then, at a certain point, removing it completely)
in favour of systemd :(

But runit (and s6) cannot be a complete substitute here and now, because
there are still missing scripts for system demons and for many
applications: in fact, runit now works hybridly, using the available SysV
demons when there are no native runit script ready to handle services.

By relying on Sysv, this same hybrid mechanism can only be a temporary
solution: Devuan -- like all Debian-based distributions which refuse
systend -- must have alternative init and service management systems with
all the necessary scripts...

And here comes the question: which is the "right" init I should choose
*now* when doing a fresh (Daedalus) installation?

You suggest an hybrid system, with sysvinit doing system initialization
(pid 1) and runit running the daemons, that is, start with a sysvinit
system and then move on to runit for services only.

Ok. But I have something confused...

If I understood well, it is because so the system initialization would be
managed by sysvinit and not by runit. Right?

And then, is this because the management of some system services is
missing with runit (missing scripts)? Or because the hybrid mechanism
which allows runit to use sysv scripts does not work for/during system
initialization? Or what else?

Thanks

Regard
al3xu5

--
Property is theft! (P-J Proudhon) ...today more than ever.

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B