:: [DNG] Listing /etc/init.d scripts (…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Olaf Meeuwissen
Aan: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Oude Onderwerpen: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Onderwerp: [DNG] Listing /etc/init.d scripts (was Re: New goodies from systemd)
Hi,

Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> Marjorie Roome via Dng said on Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:48:46 +0100
>
>>How many daemons are there? I have 76 init files in my /init.d.
>
> Could you please copy and paste a list of those init files' filenames?
> It would be a great starting point for getting runit run scripts
> developed. I'll compare your list to what's in runit-scripts package to
> see what still needs development.

I poked around in the Contents files with `apt-file` on my Daedalus
machine to get an idea of the *full* list of init.d scripts, whether
installed or not. There are a whopping 1184 of them, 16 of which are
provided by more than one binary package. The init.d files are spread
out over 1076 binary packages, so some packages contain more than one.

FTR, I used

apt-file search etc/init.d/ | cut -d\ -f2 | sort | uniq -c | wc -l
apt-file search etc/init.d/ | cut -d\ -f2 | sort | uniq -d | wc -l
apt-file search etc/init.d/ | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | wc -l

to get the respective numbers with these APT sources configured

  $ sed 's/[ \t]*#.*//; /^$/d' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
  deb [target+=Contents-deb] http://deb.devuan.org/merged daedalus          main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
  deb [target+=Contents-deb] http://deb.devuan.org/merged daedalus-security main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
  deb [target+=Contents-deb] http://deb.devuan.org/merged daedalus-updates  main contrib non-free non-free-firmware

Given the large number of files and packages involved, I guess combining
the list of packages with popcon data[1] is a good way to get an idea of
which packages would benefit most of being added to runit-services. I'm
not sure whether using popcon's `inst` or `vote` data is best suited for
this ranking task.

[1]: https://popcon.debian.org/

BTW, instead of having been removed, init.d scripts may have been moved
to a package's /usr/share/doc/ as well. Case is point is nftables.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen