:: Re: [DNG] Filing bug reports (was R…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Filing bug reports (was Re: runit setup)
Ralph Ronnquist said on Sat, 5 Aug 2023 08:28:23 +1000

>On Fri, Aug 04, 2023 at 03:04:41PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng said on Thu, 03 Aug 2023 21:13:09 +0900
>>
>> >Lehel Bernadt via Dng <dng@???> writes:

[snip]

>> >That said, I do admit to not filing bug reports out of sheer
>> >laziness myself (on occasion) :-(
>>
>> I don't think it's laziness. I think you're making best use of your
>> time.
>>
>> By the way, in 1996 I made a bug tracker that was pretty much
>> universal, and whose output was prose you could put in any
>> wordprocessing document or website. It had no "must fill" fields, so
>> you could leave out what wasn't relevant, and weren't required to
>> pick from four choices that didn't fit the situation. It's really
>> not that hard to do if make things easy for the human user instead
>> of for your database.
>>
>> I agree with Lehel.
>>

>> SteveT
>
>Have you heard that saying about Muhammad and the Mountain?
>
>Don't be the mountain.
>
>Ralph.

This is exactly my point. Projects are trying to be the mountain. Hey
volunteer, learn MY bugtracker, even though yes, I know, you're
involved with thirty other projects as a user or contributor.
Volunteer, take the time to figure out MY idiosyncrasies created by
must-fill fields you don't know or understand. Yes, Volunteer, I know
you already either found the root cause or found a reproduction
sequence, both of which are vital, but you need to take more time to
jump through our hoops. Thing is, volunteers come in all shapes, sizes,
colors, and special abilities. And they're not paid.

Please understand I'm in no way singling out the Devuan project. As a
matter of fact, the two projects I've really had a problem with were
the LyX project and the Bluefish project.

A happy medium could be to provide an EASY bugtracking form. I made one
in 1996, but it was a Java applet and modern browsers don't support
those.

SteveT

Steve Litt