:: Re: [DNG] init scripts
Góra strony
Autor: Manfred Wassmann
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] init scripts
On Fri, Aug 4, 2023 at 1:01 PM altoid via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> That said, why are we *still* on the subject of removing systemd from
> bookworm?
>
> From what I have read, Debian bookworm comes with systemd as the
> *default* init system and does not consider any other init system to
> be suitable or supported.

It might open an interesting option I want to try as soon as I have a
little spare time: Take a running Debian without systemd, replace the
sources.list with that ao Devuan and run an apt-get dist-upgrade. If that
works it would be especially interesting in the ARM world as you can get
Debian install images for many SBCs from the vendors.

> My view is that Devuan should follow the basic Linux philosophy (do
> one thing and do it well)

Sorry, that's the /Unix/ philosophy and it doesn't mean that you should
only have one piece of software for each task but the software you write
should only do one thing and that well. It's the KISS principle.

and concentrate all its efforts on its
> survival.
>
> Nothing else.
>
> In my view, that means quickly deciding on *one* init sytem and
> concentrate *all* efforts on making absolutely sure that it can/will
> work on *any* Debian release.

Isn't that what Debian is after? And wouldn't that mean, Devuan has to use
systemd as its sole init and ...

> If that can be achieved and Devuan survives the present situation,

wouldn't that be the death of Devuan?