:: Re: [DNG] init scripts
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Manfred Wassmann
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] init scripts
On Fri, Aug 4, 2023 at 7:19 AM Martin Steigerwald <martin@???>
wrote:

> Lorenz via Dng - 04.08.23, 00:02:21 CEST:
> > systemd maintains a compatibility layer with sysvinit, via the initctl
> > pipe, so when you switch from sysv ---> systemd or vice versa you can
> > expect shutdown or reboot commands to work as intended;

That's something I referred to in another post WRT this topic. Also I
pointed out the shutdown problem is the worst case and I showed how to
resolve it by mounting r/o. Anyways, from a distribution dedicated to init
freedom I'd expect some sort of a framework which facilitates replacing the
running init package without getting stuck, so no surprise here.

> Didn't have time to catch up with your discussion.
>
> But regarding any compatibility layers: I wonder whether that one is
> under ABI/API stability guarantee. If not, whenever systemd developers
> feel like it, it could be gone.
>
> Maybe it is part of their stability guarantee. But I do not even know
> how to look this up anymore or whether I am making something up here. I
> thought they had such a guarantee for parts of systemd.
>

>From my experience, I gave it a try in Debian Bullseye and i ended up with

a running but removed pid 1 systemd which wasn't able to do anything and
after trying all other options the system had to be shut down by unplugging
the power supply. So they may not have a compatibility layer in Debian,
which seems likely to me, or there is no (functional) stability guarantee
with systemd.