:: Re: [DNG] runit setup (was: Re: Ne…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] runit setup (was: Re: New goodies from systemd)
Lehel Bernadt via Dng said on Wed, 2 Aug 2023 18:31:43 +0200

>On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 05:17:36PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>>Why did you leave Void Linux for Devuan then?
>>
>>Just curious, as I thought about trying out Void myself.
>
>Debian/Devuan has more packages, and most of the binary-only desktop
>software that I need to use comes in rpm and deb format, with the
>added value of being upgradeable using apt.

The preceding is true. Also, some hardware drivers aren't available in
Void's excellent xbps packaging system. I've used Void for eight years,
so I've developed some knowledge of it :-).

>Also Void is rolling
>release, where things can break more often.

My experience is that Void does rolling release right, and if you update
at least once a week you don't get the problems you get on Arch and
Gentoo rolling releases.

The biggest benefit and drawback of Void is that it lacks training
wheels. Also, Void has the drawback that it doesn't have nearly the
amount of weird hardware accommodation that Ubuntu and Mint have.

SteveT

Steve Litt