:: Re: [DNG] runit setup
Góra strony
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] runit setup
Hi Lehel.

Lehel Bernadt via Dng - 02.08.23, 18:31:43 CEST:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 05:17:36PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >If you have ideas on how to improve upon the current situation
> >regarding Runit in Debian read some of the other mails I wrote about
> >how you can engage with the Debian/Devuan init diversity / init
> >freedom team.
> >
> >However I recommend you use a bit more polite and constructive
> >wording. It almost sounded a bit arrogant to me. There are only a
> >few people who work on the packages and maybe Lorenzo copied some
> >Runit script stuff from elsewhere. I am not sure, I bet could it
> >could be mentioned in copyright file of the Debian package. An
> >oversight like you mentioned with dhcpcd is annoying, but could
> >happen. Instead of just complaining here in the tone you did, you
> >could also open a bug report and suggest a fix. He did all of this
> >packaging work on his own as far as I remember.
> >
> >Give your feedback in a friendly and constructive tone and offer your
> >help. I am sure it would be appreciated. Working together is not only
> >technical skills, but also social skills. The tone makes the music as
> >we say in German. Meaning it is not only what you say, but how you
> >say it, that is important.
> >
> >Also it could be good to split your feedback into actionable pieces
> >if possible, in case you decide to post on debian-init-diversity
> >mailing list.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
> Sorry if this sounded like a rant, I don't intend to downplay the
> effort others are making. There are two reasons I dumped my
> frustrations here:
> - The conceptual direction of the Debian runit &
> runit-scripts packages seems too far from what I envision as a simple
> (and maintainable on the long run) scheme

Hmmm I think the runit-services package (it is not called runit-scripts)
uses a nice approach with cpsv. What do you disagree with?

> - I have the experience of filing bug reports only for nothing to
> happen afterwards.

Hmmm the situation is definitely not easy at the moment. The Devuan/
Debian init diversity team is small. The Devuan developer team is also
small.

Best changes are in case you really offer to help and engage and maybe
discuss your ideas on the Debian init diversity mailing list first.

> >PS: Your mail formatting does not look nearly as professional as

[…]
> Yeah, I wrote it in gmail which is anything but a good MUA - should
> have known better. Sorry for the multiple violations of the mailing
> list etiquette :) I'm back to something more sane. Oh and I never
> claimed that my setup is so professional, I basically followed the
> Void model.

Formatting indeed looks better.

I see. I really like to look at it some time. It raised my interest
several times by now. But being able to install Debian packages is
actually a nice feature as well. Maybe if Void can do Flathub for stuff I
cannot get with Void packages. Or maybe if its easy to package your own
stuff and contribute… well but that is off topic on this list.

Best,
--
Martin