:: [DNG] runit setup (was: Re: New go…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Alte Treads: Re: [DNG] New goodies from systemd
Betreff: [DNG] runit setup (was: Re: New goodies from systemd)
Hi

Thanks for your long and detailed feedback.

Bernádt, Lehel via Dng - 01.08.23, 20:17:15 CEST:
> I did my Debian -> Devuan switch with a detour via Void Linux. I was
> blown away by the simplicity and the speed of their runit setup, so
> when installing Devuan I chose runit as the init system. I was
> disappointed to see that this is not a full-blown runit setup as it
> calls the sysvinit scripts - it only gives the possibility to set up
> your own runit scripts in parallel.

Why did you leave Void Linux for Devuan then?

Just curious, as I thought about trying out Void myself.

> All in all, I'm willing to help in creating a runit setup for Devuan,
> hopefully without all the cruft and not relying on the sysvinit
> scripts.

If you have ideas on how to improve upon the current situation regarding
Runit in Debian read some of the other mails I wrote about how you can
engage with the Debian/Devuan init diversity / init freedom team.

However I recommend you use a bit more polite and constructive wording.
It almost sounded a bit arrogant to me. There are only a few people who
work on the packages and maybe Lorenzo copied some Runit script stuff
from elsewhere. I am not sure, I bet could it could be mentioned in
copyright file of the Debian package. An oversight like you mentioned
with dhcpcd is annoying, but could happen. Instead of just complaining
here in the tone you did, you could also open a bug report and suggest a
fix. He did all of this packaging work on his own as far as I remember.

Give your feedback in a friendly and constructive tone and offer your
help. I am sure it would be appreciated. Working together is not only
technical skills, but also social skills. The tone makes the music as we
say in German. Meaning it is not only what you say, but how you say it,
that is important.

Also it could be good to split your feedback into actionable pieces if
possible, in case you decide to post on debian-init-diversity mailing
list.

PS: Your mail formatting does not look nearly as professional as
according to your own words your runit setup seems to be. Lines are too
long and last one or two words appear to be split to the next line. Also
your mail has HTML part. Additionally you top-posted.

Best,
--
Martin