:: Re: [DNG] init scripts
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Antony Stone
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] init scripts
On Tuesday 01 August 2023 at 16:00:54, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I have been following the various threads re: init scripts with more
> than some interest.
>
> I'm running devuan daedalus using sysV inits.
> Why - - - - cause I don't know what I'm doing so try to change as
> little as I need to to get what I want working.
> Sowent looking - - - - sysVinit is parked in Canonical's empire - - -
> that's scary and then there is the 'nothing changed since 2015'. That
> might mean that its an incredibly well crafted item ;that has had very
> little need of any follow up changes. Given that there were a regular
> series of changes in the three years leading up to 2015 - - - well - -
> - somehow I'm not convinced as to the 'no need for change' paradigm.
>
> (So to my question - - - )
>
> I'm not adverse to change - - - - just don't want to bork up working
> systems - - - how could I change my init system and secondly which
> direction do I head?

I too am interested to know about the feasibility of changing the init system
on a running machine (I assume it would need a reboot, of course, but not an
entire re-installation).

I'm aware of the init system selection option when _installing_ Devuan (but
for much the same reasons as above, I've always gone for SysVinit) but the
only time I've knowingly changed an init system is when I converted a couple
of Debian machines from systemd to sysvinit many years ago (and since then
I've only ever set up systems using Devuan, so I haven't needed to do that
again).

I'm aware of the following init system options: systemd, sysvinit, s6, runit,
openrc, upstart. I guess there are others.

Is it possible to take a system running any one of these and convert it to any
other? That sounds like rather too much to expect...

> (I know Steve likes one particular but others seem to lean in another
> direction - - - - how do I choose and why (the why is imo the most
> important part of the answer).)
>
> Is there anything I as a very much neophyte programmer can do to help
> in the maintenance and furtherance of init system choice - - - please
> advise.

Regards,

Antony.

--
When you find yourself arguing with an idiot,
you should first of all make sure

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.