:: Re: [DNG] I offered to help
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Martin Steigerwald
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] I offered to help
Steve Litt - 31.07.23, 16:42:37 CEST:
> tito via Dng said on Mon, 31 Jul 2023 15:46:30 +0200
>
> >On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:41:27 -0400
> >
> >Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> >> * Please tell me who is in charge of the runit-scripts package and
> >> how to contact him/her.
> >
> >https://salsa.debian.org/Lorenzo.ru.g-guest/runit-services/-/tree/mas
> >ter
> >https://salsa.debian.org/Lorenzo.ru.g-guest/runit-services/-/blob/ma
> >ster/README
> Thanks tito!
>
> I want to make sure we're all on the same page. I was told about a
> deVuan package called runit-scripts. The preceding two links are for a
> deBian package called runit-services, and seems to reference systemd
> quite a bit.
>
> Does deVuan have a package called runit-scripts?

AFAIK no. Devuan uses the same runit-services package.

Devuan/Debian init diversity team people try to get as much as possible
upstream. One reason is that Debian developers in the team like to run
Debian without Systemd (still possible). Another one is: It reduces the
diff between Debian and Devuan, which hopefully leads to less work for
Devuan people. The idea is basically to use synergy by working together
instead of fighting with one another. Together Devuan and Debian people
can form a larger team. Some use Debian, some use Devuan. And that is
all good. Back then I did some writing to bring people together like
that.

I maintain a Debian package myself, but I still run Devuan, cause this
way I spend less time on fixing things up that Debian package maintainers
break regarding non Systemd init. So far Devuan developers have shielded
me very well from init script removals for example. Thanks for that! So
I build the Debian package on Devuan within a Debian Sid pbuilder
chroot. It works.

However… introducing a low level package to Debian can lead to a lot of
discussions, so "eudev" is not yet in Debian, only available in Devuan.
That combined with a missing versioned dependency led to that libgudev
related issue recently.

So in case you like to contribute, I suggest you subscribe to the
debian-init-diversity mailing list I already posted and/or contact the
maintainer of the runit-services package Lorenzo (as shown by "apt show
runit-services"). And then I bet its just about using git and doing some
merge requests. I intend to do one as well, for the zcfan runit stuff I
blatantly copied and adapted from another service provided in the
package.

Best,
--
Martin