:: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Pàgina inicial
Autor: o1bigtenor
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 8:00 AM Андрей Сорокин via Dng
<dng@???> wrote:

> Hi, Manfred.
>
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:22:52 +0100 you wrote:
> > BTW I read X11 support shall be dropped in the next GTK release in
> > favour of Wayland. I presume that only leaves the choice between
> > forking or abandoning GTK/Gnome to prevent more poettering, right?
>
> I have tried "Daedalus" and it seems to me that whole X will be
> dropped soon no matter which DE to use -- as it halts on single
> X-session switching between X and console sessions, and no X-multi-seat
> at all. Therefore, "DeVuan" will be harder to support in the near
> future, if possible at all. -- So, it seems that the Corp.s have
> destroyed "Linux" and it will never be the OS of IT-lovers. :^(

Hmmmmmm - - - - - I stress X (X11) a lot running a large number of monitors
and a very large number of virtual desktops - - - on Daedalus.
Dunno why one would want to use X-multi-seat today when systems are quite
cheap - - - - for a low stress user something like a 64 bit RaspberryPi has even
resources to function reasonably well - - - imo and if not I've got a
number of used
machines here that work very very well on Chimaera or Daedalus - - - - can set
up a user for a complete machine for under $500 - - - - even lower if a single
monitor can be tolerated.

Given that 'smart' phones are costing 2 and 3 times as much and it seems that
most consider that not too expensive - - - - I don't see the need for
a multi-seat
system except perhaps in a training situation.

(I understand that I'm arguing for my use cases but I don't know of a place that
is using multi-seat so am trying to understand a want for it.)

Switching between X11 and console - - - I can see that dying - - - - and am
cheering - - - - that dying is what gives me the option of having far
more than 20
virtual desktops. Mind you there is no nice easy cli switch between them like
there is between the X11 and console in the past (Ctrl+F# and (iirc) Ctrl+shift+
F#) but I find using a trackball or mouse and selecting from one of my group
of virtual desktops is almost as easy. I do use different applications
on a number
of the desktops which then gives me an easy way of finding the one I want as
well (running LXQT and running desktop switcher in one panel and application
menu in another (and some sensor data monitoring in a third).

> So, prepare for the OS absence with the far more its degradation from
> now till the absence. -- Just my opinion, of course.

Perhaps this is just X11 morphing a bit more - - - positively imo although
I suppose it could be considered degradation from single monitor or
maybe dual monitor with no use of virtual desktops - - - only consoles -
- - - I still see a bunch of life in the 'old girl' yet (grin!).

Regards