:: Re: [DNG] Stuff mucking with /etc/r…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Stuff mucking with /etc/resolv.conf (was Re: request for advice)
Hi Didier,

Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:

> Le 20/07/2023 à 02:37, wirelessduck--- via Dng a écrit :
>>
>>> On 19 Jul 2023, at 21:04, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>>>
>>> Talking about isc-dhcp-client, I saw in the Debian 12 release notes that
>>> that is deprecated (because ISC deprecated it)[1]. For folks using
>>> ifupdown, like myself, the notes mention udhcpc as a possible substitute.
>>>
>>> [1]: https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#deprecated-components
>> The ISC packages for DHCP client and server are still in Debian 12
>> so there is plenty of time to plan transition.
>>
>> I can see ISC kea is now packaged in bookworm repository so that might be the best server replacement choice?
>
>     Thank you guys for the warnings.
>
> [...]
>
>     I'm used to ifupdown and wpa_supplicant. They integrate well with
> each other - granted some modification of the installed interfaces
> file. If you say that the ifupdown complicated, but known, machinery
> is going to be obsoleted, this means I'll need to switch to
> alternatives to maybe both ifupdown and wpa_supplicant. Better start
> working on it right now, so I'd like to know if you have
> recommendations.

That's what I use, ifupdown and wpa_supplicant. I've switched from
iptables to nftables already but still need to look at moving away from
isc-dhcp-dclient. I didn't say ifupdown is going to be obsoleted, btw,
and neither do the release notes I linked to.

Granted, I should have said

>>> For folks using ifupdown, like myself, the notes mention udhcpc as
>>> a possible substitute *for isc-dhcp-client*.

to make that unambiguously clear.

If looking for an ifupdown replacement, connman might be worth looking
into. See

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/policy-query.html?c=package&q=connman&x=submit

for the versions available in Devuan (since jessie!)
Personally, I find the dependency on iptables a bit disappointing.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen