:: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Manfred Wassmann
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
First a post which accidentally went out as a private message:

On Sunday, July 23, 2023, Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:

> I think its important to discern. Not everything that is new makes
> things worse.

The problem with Wayland is not it being new but being Linux only. Yet
that may be changing, FreeBSD currently is supporting it. But for the time
being with X11 support being dropped from GTK most of the non-Linux world
would be excluded.

Now to the current post:

On Sunday, July 23, 2023, Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:

> Manfred Wassmann via Dng - 23.07.23, 08:08:00 CEST:
> > >
> > > " ... the right question is "why use Devuan"? Since in general, if
> > > all things are equal, it's usually better to use an upstream distro
> > > rather than a derivative."
> >
> > Well, from the blog post it's plain obvious this precondition doesn't
> > hold as the first major difference is: With Devuan you just install
> > the distro and have a systemd-free system but with Debian you have to
> > hack it and the way to do that will be different and probably harder
> > with every release.
> >
> > So this (Ian "diziet" Jackson's) statement is worthless and thus the
> > question answered.
>
> I do not think the question is worthless.

That's not what I wrote. I said the /statement/ is worthless and that is
because the precondition therein is false and when you know a little bit
about logics a statement can only be valid if all preconditions are true.

> For the other hand asking why it is necessary to bring in the effort to
> fork Devuan in order to have a Systemd free Debian is actually a good
> question to ask.

This also is a bit off because at the time Ian Jackson posted that blog
entry it wasn't about forking Devuan off Debian but about /using/ the
already forked and /well established/ Devuan or hacking the current Debian
install to remove systemd.

And here the answer clearly is, there is a difference and using standard
Devuan has benefits over a hacked Debian when you don't want systemd.

--
sent from mobile