:: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Top Pagina
Auteur: Martin Steigerwald
Aan: Dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
altoid via Dng - 23.07.23, 03:47:11 CEST:
> On 21 Jul 2023 at 13:37 -300 Alexis PM wrote:
> > ... other email may cause this email thread to become a mire that
> > can spread a lot in an unproductive but aggressive discussion about
> > demons and enemies.
>
> It seems that has indeed happened.
>
> As far as I am concerned, whether the OP is a troll or not is
> absolutely irrelevant as well as every other consideration with
> respect to what can be done (or not) with Debian to disable systemd.

I'd be careful about calling someone a troll, when its not clear they
are. The word "troll" has been used to dismiss valid arguments a lot of
times. Of course, interacting with someone who clearly is trolling, is a
waste of time, however, I did not had the impression that diziet did
troll. And in case diziet really is Ian Jackson as the other Ian claims,
he is clearly not a troll.

He helped setup a Debian init diversity mailing list as a safe haven for
Debian developers who still want to run Debian with something else than
Systemd. Initially I did this too. Wondering whether Devuan would be a
safe enough haven for long-term usage. However after applying work-
around over work-around over work-around, like for some time a highly
unofficial package for elogind, or installed orphan-sysvinit-scripts as
Debian maintainers of some packages needlessly removed them, and so on,
I eventually decided just to completely switch to Devuan.

And I did not regret it. It works.

In Devuan Ceres it can happen that some change in Debian breaks
something in Devuan. However that is a risk that unfortunately is not
easy to avoid.

I consider having a closer look at Alpine Linux, but while simple, clean
and small, I am not yet sure whether it could replace Devuan on my main
laptop as a full-blown do all what I want operating system. Maybe it
could, but I'd need additional time, quite some additional time to find
out.

Best,
--
Martin