:: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Martin Steigerwald
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Alif "al1r4d" Radhitya Wardana - 23.07.23, 03:18:54 CEST:
> It's bad news if GTK will drop X11 support. How about perfomance
> between X11 and Wayland?

Not actually sure whether that is bad news.

I do not run Plasma on Wayland on my main machine as with its complex
setup I still found some issues, but I am running two of my other
machines with Plasma on Wayland. All machines are running Devuan
Daedalus or Ceres.

Performance-wise I did not notice a difference.

Security-wise Wayland should be quite good news. X11 has dire security
issues like one program with hidden window being able to snoop on
keyboard input and things like that.

I think its important to discern. Not everything that is new makes
things worse. About Wayland I am not completely decided yet, but if at
one time my main production machine will run it fine without Systemd,
without major issues, with similar or better performance and I also
would have increased security, why actually not?

It can become a habit to think everything new is bad. I think its
important to discern. Even… I know it is heresy, even Systemd is not all
bad. There are good ideas in it. It is just that with Systemd I either
get the complete package or not. Only a few components are installable
separately. And looking at the good and the bad, for me, of what I get
when I use Systemd, I decided, I do not want it. It is too many policy
decisions of others onto my system, too much, for me, unpredictable
behavior, cause some Systemd developer thought it would be better for me
this way. And it is about the social issues regarding at least some
Systemd developers who in my perception showed outright arrogance
towards reporters of issues, repeatedly. "I know it better than you,
period!" is an attitude that does not go well with me.

Best
--
Martin