:: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Marjorie Roome
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Hi,

On Fri, 2023-07-21 at 13:53 -0700, capercally.bleery670@???
wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 11:53:32AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > capercally.bleery670@??? said on Thu, 20 Jul 2023 18:13:29
> > -0700
> >
> > > https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/15336.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ian

> > core purpose is a sans-systemd fork of Debian to say that this
> > sans-systemd fork is unnecessary and we can all return to the
> > Debian
> > fold.
>
> I'm not *that* Ian, if that is what you meant.
>
> I use Devuan when I can, which is mostly on server-like systems where
> I don't need any of the "modern" GUI stuff. But some things just
> cannot be done without the "modern" GUI (unfortunately), and there I
> need just *one* such GUI across all the systems or I'll go crazy.
> Which implies (also unfortunately) that GUI has to be Gnome [1], and
> Devuan doesn't (or didn't until lately) provide a working Gnome
> option.

Firstly elogind doesn't have any systemd dependencies.
You can easily check if you look it up with synaptic.

It is also not a program that has had to be 'devuanised': it's the
vanilla one you get in the main Debian repositories.

I'm also a bit unclear why you need to use Gnome, except that's the one
you have chosen to standardise on - albeit that a very good reason.
You do have a footnote reference [1] which might explain this but there
isn't a footnote.

Most of the major display environments (Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE, KDE) are
also on most of the other major distributions as well as Devuan so I
would expect you would be able to change if you changed it on all your
machines.

FWIW I use Cinnamon, which uses many Gnome components, and its running
fine on Daedalus.

--
Marjorie