:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on change (spli…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on change (split) partitions of an md raid
Le 14/07/2023 à 23:10, Simon a écrit :
> And I didn’t mean to imply raid removed a need for backups.

>>> Your eight step procedure didn't look easy.
> Everything is relative. And of course, there are multiple ways to achieve the end result so you can choose whichever method is “best” according to your knowledge level and weighting factors.

    I've never found a document making md RAID easy for the beginner.
The only usable thing is 'man mdadm'. It takes some time to find you way
and understand what you do, but the software is rock-solid and well
integrated into the system.

    I've written a little web server which can display the status of md
RAID devices by just browsing /proc, and makes monitoring easy; but,
when it comes to operations, I never considered creating a graphical
menu for them, because it would require a comprehensive understanding of
all the possibilities, and these are too many. The complexity of mdadm
reflects the variety of RAID configurations and states.

    md is the only subsysem to handle comprehensively all RAID
configurations. Even better: it does nothing else. In both respects, it
cannot compare with LVM, btrfs or zfs.

--     Didier