:: Re: [DNG] request for advice
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] request for advice
capercally.bleery670@??? said on Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:39:10 -0700

>On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 06:28:56PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>
>> I avoid DHCP provided DNS by installing the Unbound resolver on each
>> of my computers, starting its daemon from runit (or I spoze
>> sysvinit), and I make sure to set /etc/resolv.conf to point at the
>> unbound server and then chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf .
>
>This setup has its advantages, but it does mean you don't share
>the cache among your systems. Also, you cannot in a straightforward
>way provide dns names for your systems, especially if the dhcp
>provided addresses change often. If the dhcp server also does dns,
>it can connect the information between the two more naturally.
>
>--
>Ian

In the case of a LAN I'd keep unbound on the computer that stays up all
the time, with other LAN inhabitants using that one unbound. And
unbound can provide names for all the systems on the LAN. Presumably
your LAN's IP addresses don't change often.

For a WAN, I could indeed provide authoritative DNS with one copy of
tinydns/unbound on a server I control. However, I wouldn't bother with
getting DNS resolution from my ISP. I'd rather do 8.8.8.8 or one of the
other low-number public DNS servers than get it from my ISP. But I'd
still rather use a local copy of unbound on all laptops. It's just so
effortless.

SteveT

Steve Litt