:: Re: [DNG] request for advice
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Antony Stone
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] request for advice
On Monday 10 July 2023 at 21:04:28, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

> Greetings

Greeting - stuff snipped from the below, obviously :)

> Yesterday evening we had some thunderstorms march through.

> AIUI that means that I have some kind of DNS resolution issues.

> Was there anything else I could have done to re-establish internet
> connection?

I'd say the first place to start with this is to tell us what your current DNS
setup actually is :)

I can think of the following common possibilities:

1. Your router gets a DHCP address from your connectivity provider, along with
their DNS server addresses, and it hands out local IP addresses, but the same
external DNS servers, to DHCP clients on your local network.

2. Your router gets a DHCP address from your connectivity provider, along with
their DNS server addresses, and it runs a forwarding DNS server. It then
hands out local IP addresses, and its own address as a DNS server, to DHCP
clients on your local network.

3. Your router gets a DHCP address from your connectivity provider, along with
their DNS server addresses, and it runs a caching DNS server. It then hands
out local IP addresses, and its own address as a DNS server, to DHCP clients
on your local network.

4. Your router doesn't care where it gets its external IP address from, and
runs a forwarding and/or caching DNS server, pointing at the (is it still 13?)
root name servers around the Internet. Your router hands out local IP
addresses, and its own address as a DNS server, to DHCP clients on your local
network.

There may be other arrangements :)

Once we know this sort of detail, I think people will be able to think of
which bit you might have restarted in order to get DNS going again, without
having to reboot the whole thing.

I agree that UPSs are a splendid idea, but like backups, they do need to be
tested to make sure they're actually providing the comfort and security you
think they are :)

Antony.

--
The Electronic Frontier Foundation was founded this day in 1990.
https://www.eff.org

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.