:: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installe…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Olaf Meeuwissen
A: Ralph Ronnquist
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installer ISO
Hi,

Ralph Ronnquist <rrq@???> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi All,
>
> it would be very useful if you tested the Devuan daedalus 5.0.0-rcX
> iso and dropped some feedback.

Installed several times using the 5.0.0-rc4_amd64_server.iso on a Dell
Vostro 3360 this morning.

It's a bit of an odd machine in that it has 32GB SDD and a 500GB HDD and
only seems to (legacy) boot from the HDD whereas I want to install the
base system on the SDD :-)

I zeroed the first 32MB of both disks before each attempt.

Installation goes smooth until I get to installing GRUB on the "primary"
disk. Never mind splitting hairs on which disk is the primary one, I
want to note that during my three installation attempts, the /dev/sda
and /dev/sdb assignments flipped between disks on every new try. A bit
annoying but not a real problem as long as you pay attention to the
disk's description. Not sure if this is an installer, BIOS or kernel
issue.

I found out the hard way that GRUB fails to install on a disk with its
first 32MB zeroed. Adding a partition table on it is not good enough
either. It needs a filesystem. Once there is a file system I have no
issues installing the base system on, let's say, /dev/sda and putting
GRUB on /dev/sdb. I assume this is a GRUB peculiarity and not an issue
with the installer.

Machine boots fine ... and flips disk device names again, sigh, so / is
now on /dev/sdb1 ... :-o
Looks like device name flipping is not an installer issue, after all.

Good thing /etc/fstab uses UUIDs to find filesystems :-)

I installed a minimal base system without locales, without a network
connection and used runit for the init system. I didn't even installed
the "standard" packages. So far, I have integrated nftables in the init
(based on the snippets in /usr/share/doc/nftables/examples/), set up
(wired) networking for use with netplug and that works fine.

@rrq> If you update the SHA256SUMS.txt file to match rc4, make sure your
      GPG key used to sign that is in the devuan-dev.gpg file as per the
      README.txt on https://files.devuan.org/.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen