:: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installe…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Ralph Ronnquist
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Testing Daedalus Installer ISO
On Sun, Jul 09, 2023 at 09:46:51PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 08:01:17PM +1000, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> > it would be very useful if you tested the Devuan daedalus 5.0.0-rcX
> > iso and dropped some feedback.
>
> I am testing with devuan_daedalus_5.0.0-rc4_amd64_netinstall.iso. The
> sha256sum in devuan_daedalus_5.0.0-rc4_amd64_netinstall.iso.shasum
> comes back as OK. I am following the procedure used in devuan 1-4 to
> attempt to start the install with software speech, which is supposed
> to be press <s> and <enter> in the boot menu. According to section 5.2
> of the debian install manual, this procedure is also still valid for
> debian 12. I've tried this in VirtualBox 6.1.44 and on a legacy BIOS
> amd64 machine, and am getting no speech. On the physical machine, I
> get a beep when the CD image boots as expected. At that point, I press
> s enter but nothing else happens audibly for a couple of minutes,
> which is as long as I waited.
>
> If the procedure for starting software speech in Daedalus has changed
> from the one in devuan 1-4, I can help document it, once I know what
> the user needs to do to get that started. If this is supposed to work,
> then it would be appreciated if the devs could please look into why it
> doesn't. I'm happy to provide whatever other info is needed, and do
> more testing. Thanks.

Thank you for raising this! I overlooked the actually obvious point
that likely a print-disabled person would initially struggle with this
change, which I merely thought of as a menu simplification.

This new installer menu has a single level with 8 options consisting
of 4 options without speech and the same 4 options with speech
enabled. The selection is by option number 1-4 or 5-8. Thus, 1 and 5
select default installation, 2 and 6 select expert installation, 3 and
7 select rescue mode, and 4 and 8 select automated installation.

Apart from that, the installation options are supposed to work like
before. It's very useful if you can test and confirm especially the
speech enabled options. Further thoughts and suggestions about the
boot menu are also appreciated.

regards,

Ralph.