:: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance wi…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon
Aan: Devuan ML
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance with my graphics
o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

>> PS - I’m envious - I’d be happy(ish) if I could afford 2off 1920x1200 displays (I have one from work from when covid hit and we were all told to work from home). Those extra 120 rows of pixel make a surprising difference, but two would be nicer for some of the work I do.

> Can you afford NOT to have more screen real estate? (You can't afford
> $400 - - - sorry
> that's a bit tough to understand given the increase of work
> capabilities that they would
> introduce - - - if I was working for a company that was worth working
> for I would get them
> myself (making it clear that they were not the company's!!!) because I
> believe in the concept
> that much - - - enough though!!)

When you are working for large government departments, you can present an irresistible business case for extra desktop real-estate - but hit the immovable obstruction of department spending rules. Not to mention, at work we are now officially hot desk - which I hate, the autistic side of me struggles with not having “my” space. So rules say 2off 24” monitors for engineers, so that’s what we get. If I did get approval for something better, there’d then be the problem of not having “my” desk to put it on. Until recently we could only use one on each laptop, technically we could connect both to one laptop but they have been unable to get hold fo the approved USB-C-DisplayPort (or HDMI) adapters for some time).
We have, after some moaning (and pointing out the cost of many engineers spending 10-15 minutes each day plugging stuff in) go a USB-C dock on each desk - just the one, note the above mention of laptops (plural) !
I amazed my manager when he saw me switching one of the monitors between laptops - two screens on one, with one of them also plugged into the other laptop.

I could add stuff at home - but I’d have to pay for it myself, and I have other priorities for my cash than subsidising work (we’re getting yet another below inflation pay rise, so yet another real-terms pay cut this year).

Simon