:: Re: [DNG] [rrq@mail.rrq.id.au: Re: …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Antony Stone
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] [rrq@mail.rrq.id.au: Re: Devuan armhf / armel for my Samsung / Google Chromebook model XE303C12 "Snow" ?]
On Thursday 22 June 2023 at 20:58:11, Mario Marietto wrote:

> ---> Ascii was released in 2018
>
> ---> Beowulf was released in 2020
>
> only two years of difference. I expected kernel 3.x on ascii,but I didn't
> find it. If I don't get wrong both have the kernel 4.x. So I should install
> jessie instead of Ascii,otherwise the risk is that devuan won't boot on my
> old ARM chromebook. Does Jessie have kernel 3.x ?

1. Yes.

2. If you're not sure whether a certain version will work on your hardware,
you do not have to install it - you can boot from the installation media and
go into rescue mode, which will then let you run commands and find out whether
the basics work. You can't run a full desktop GUI like that, but it'll
certainly tell you whether the kernel likes your hardware (or vice versa).

3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_version_history combined with
https://www.devuan.org/os/releases enables you to work out which Devuan
version corresonds to which Debian version, which kernel that includes, and
when the release went obsolete.

Antony.

--
I bought a book on memory techniques, but I've forgotten where I put it.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.