:: Re: [DNG] [rrq@mail.rrq.id.au: Re: …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] [rrq@mail.rrq.id.au: Re: Devuan armhf / armel for my Samsung / Google Chromebook model XE303C12 "Snow" ?]
Le 21/06/2023 à 15:21, Ralph Ronnquist a écrit :

> Note that I have:
> % dpkg --print-architecture
> amd64
> % dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
> i386
> arm64
> armhf
> armel
> ppc64el

    I didn't imagine this was possible and am not able to make any
sense of it. If you tell it, I believe you, but it goes beyond my
understanding of computing. I would be afraid of creating a big mess. I,
personnaly, have stopped installing even multiarch amd64/i386.

> and I have used them all and it has been very useful for preparing
> filesystems and compiling kernel(s) for arm on my amd64 laptop; I've
> done that for all three variants as well as for ppc64el.

    Sticking to basic and simple things, to compile a kernel for a
foreign architecture, you need a cross-compiler.  If you compile it
under qemu, then the qemu virtual machine must already have a kernel
(chicken-and-egg). But you can download a precompiled kenel and install
it into your qemu machine -- then why not install also the userland
ready-made?

    Seems there was a serious evolution since I last managed to
bootstrap a foreign arch, and some new tools are provided,  based on
qemu. Consider then that my expertise is outdated and I can't be very
usefull. I just can remind for sure that the second stage of debootstrap
must be executed by the target arch. It can be executed by the host only
if target is i386 and host is amd64 or if the target is ppc32 and the
host is ppc64.

   These qemu based tools seem to make pretty complicated things under
the hood. I insist you should get a serious understanding of what they
actually do if you don't want to waste your time.

--     Didier