:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixe…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] [OT] Help on ssd/hdd mixed system...
Antony Stone said on Sun, 18 Jun 2023 13:53:15 +0200

>On Sunday 18 June 2023 at 13:24:14, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I apologize if I'm OT... but I would like advice from you.
>
><...detail snipped...>
>
>> The first big question is: is it still appropriate, with current SSD
>> discs, try to reduce writings?
>
>My very limited opinion is no, but I'm certain there are people here
>with better opinions and reasons for them than mine.
>
>> And then: which mechanical disk should be used for /tmp, /var, swap
>> etc...? Better reuse the "old" non-raid system disk (WD 10000rpm),
>> or the actual mirrored sdc disk (see above)?
>
>I use Raid on almost everything, and given that your Velociraptor is
>250Gb and your Raid is 2 x 1Tb, I see no reason to store anything
>important on the 250Gb.
>
>> Other doubts are:
>> - Is it worth bringing with symbolic links /home/desktop and
>> /home/downloads on the mechanical mirrored disk (sdc)?
>
>I would simply mount the partitions where you want them.

The reason I use bindmounts to mount spinning rust directories onto ssd
mountpoints is that by using bindmounts I needn't pre-calculate sizes.
Mounting actual partitions, for me, results in some partitions getting
full while others use just a fraction of their allocation, and the
situation is difficult and time consuming to rectify.

>> - About /var: could I limit myself to "move" using symbolic links
>> only /var/log, /var/mail, /var/spool, /var/tmp?
>
>Yes, you can use symolbic links for all of those.
>
>> - Does this complexity risk leading to an unstable or fragile
>> system?
>
>No, but I do question using real partitions instead of LVM, which I
>also use almost everywhere, and gives you far more flexibility into
>the future.

From my viewpoint, LVM simply adds one more level of complexity and
makes it easier to lose data. I don't know how true this is, but I've
heard that today you don't even need LVM to encrypt your partitions.
With bind mounts, I needn't do the old LVM directory size technique: It
resizes automatically.

SteveT

Steve Litt