:: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance wi…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: sawbona
À: Dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Request for assistance with my graphics
Hello:

On 13 Jun 2023 at 20:54, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:

> ... lxdm as a window manager and I've got a total of 46 virtual
> desktops ...
> ... last forced reboot I had up both LibreCAD and ...
> ... come back to my machine ...
> ... EVERY desktop is piled up on the one 'desktop'.

Interesting setup but I cannot imagine how you can possibly manage to
keep track of what is going on in all 46 (!) desktops.

The one obvious thing that comes to mind is this: whatever
size/capacity machine you build, the resources you built into it will
not ever be *infinite*.

This is arguably true for *every* possible example: from a single
processor commodity desktop from Dell/Lenovo/HP to the most complex
exaflop computer today.

ie: at some extreme point it will eventually not be able to cope with
the load/task.

And that's just the hardware, which in your case may or may not be
causing the problem.

You may also want to consider the fact that LXDE can manage up to a
*certain* (maybe large but unknown/untested) number virtual desktops
but just not 46.

I would try scouring /var/log/debug | /var/log/kern.log |
/var/log/syslog for clues and you may find something there.

An arduous task if there is one.

I suggest that the fastest and most efficient way to find out what
the problem may be is to choose the least used desktops (5 or 10?)
and shut down the programmes running in them, leaving the desktop
open but empty.

If the problem subsists, progressively close the empty desktops (one
by one) and see if that solves the problem.

If not, repeat the procedure closing more programmes/desktops till
the problem does not crop up.

Best,

JHM