:: Re: [DNG] [OT} Cloning in movies (w…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon
Aan: Devuan ML
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] [OT} Cloning in movies (was: AI as a precursor to asking intermediate questions)
Syeed Ali <syeedali@???> wrote:

> Unfortunately I can't narrow it down other than saying "science fiction"
> since that's the closest genre. I have something coming up on 350
> science fiction movies under my belt, and I'm sorry but I've never
> thought to note cloning (or multiple-selves) as a movie feature.

And suddenly, a bit from the late Douglas Adams comes to mind.
Arthur finds himself with several identical ladies called Lintilla (played by Rula Lenska on the radio IIRC) and it’s explained to him that someone created a machine that could turn out multiple copies, but due to a software bug the machine has started creating the next copy before it’s finished the first. Since it was first switched on, there has been a big ethics debate as to whether the machine can be stopped without committing murder - during which time it’s continually turning out extra Lintillas.
I won’t spoil the plot by revealing how the excess Lintillas were being dealt with - just listen to Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, or read the books, I found the TV adaptation disappointing.

> There is the obvious biological cloning but there are movies where a
> character learns it's a copy of a brain pattern in an android.

I feel the need to watch a bit of Ridley Scott again. I can only watch it alone as SWMBO is one of those who needs constant action, never mind if there’s any plot behind it. Something like Blade Runner is too slow and “boring” for her.

Simon