:: Re: [DNG] IOT tech description/rant…
Top Pagina
Auteur: golinux
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] IOT tech description/rants Was Re: Request for information - - re: networking
On 2023-06-11 18:51, Steve Litt wrote:

> Let's talk about "just works". I can't keep a modern appliance alive
> for more than 5 years anymore. And most repairs are hundreds of dollars
> to replace the "electronics board". The last time I had our built-in
> microwave replaced, I griped that our portable counter unit had served
> us over 16 years, during which time we've had four built-in microwaves.
> The tech's response: "You can't expect modern appliances to last that
> long."

I have a trusty Maytag dryer from the mid-80s. At one point had to
replace the heating element and belt. Then last month, the cylinder
mechanism collapsed. Called my friendly family-owed repair service. A
few days later I had a completely rebuilt dryer for under $300. His
advice never get rid of it if parts are still available. Didn't fare so
well with the washer. No more parts available. New washer tells me what
I can and cannot do. I have to run through an entire cycle. Can't hand
wash and spin dry without going through an entire cycle. Can't rerun the
wash cycle which is handy when I dye fabric. Lid locks and the chip
tells me when I can and cannot open the it yada, yada . . .

I also have the dumbest LG TV I could find a few years ago. A dumb
fridge. Corded phones. And a deadbolt on my doors with a key lock.

Life is simple and good.

golinux