:: Re: [DNG] IOT tech description/rant…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] IOT tech description/rants Was Re: Request for information - - re: networking
o1bigtenor via Dng said on Sun, 11 Jun 2023 06:08:08 -0500

>IMO much of this IOT tech is just garbage tech - - - I don't need to
>monitor my water heater or fridge near as much as I need it to just
>work! (We just had to change fridge somewhat over a year ago - - - -
>what a fiasco!!)

Let's talk about "just works". I can't keep a modern appliance alive
for more than 5 years anymore. And most repairs are hundreds of dollars
to replace the "electronics board". The last time I had our built-in
microwave replaced, I griped that our portable counter unit had served
us over 16 years, during which time we've had four built-in microwaves.
The tech's response: "You can't expect modern appliances to last that
long."

>As long as people keep buy 'toys' instead of demanding serious tools -
>- - well the garbage will continue.

Eggs-actly! In most regards, by the late 1960's middle class Americans
(and probably Europeans too) had everything they needed for an easy
life. A TV. A couple radios. A cheap car that went from point A to
point B, a vacuum cleaner, washer, dryer, furnace, and in hot climates,
an air conditioner, although most simply opened the window and placed a
$5.00 electric fan (that's what I did in Chicago summers). The only
things we didn't have were cell phones and personal computers.

Well, how are salesmen, advertising agencies, retail stores and
manufacturers going to sell their stuff if we have everything we need?
In a word, features. Your car just isn't up to par if it doesn't have a
magnesium paddle shifter. Your washing machine must have 15 different
named settings instead of adjustments for temperature, washing time,
and amount of water (if that). And the stupid populace bought this
bullshit.

>(Comes to automotive - - - I'm
>thinking of buy used quite old vehicle - - - the newer stuff - - -
>it isn't made to work never mind to last!!!)

If you get one from the 1960's or before, it's likely to survive an EMP
attack. Only trouble is, some parts are almost impossible to get, and
gas mileage would require huge expenditures now that gas is
$3.50/gallon instead of $0.35/gallon. And of course, smogging up the
planet is a bad idea too.

If you can find one of those 3.8 liter transverse engine Buick Centurys
from the 1980's, those things got 30mpg on the freeway and about 15 in
the city: Not too shabby. But of course they have too much electronics
to survive an EMP attack.

SteveT

Steve Litt