:: [DNG] IOT: was Request for informat…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Alte Treads: Re: [DNG] Request for information - - re: networking
Betreff: [DNG] IOT: was Request for information - - re: networking
Dan Purgert via Dng said on Sat, 10 Jun 2023 19:35:10 -0400

>On Jun 07, 2023, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 4:24 PM Simon <linux@???> wrote:
>>

>> > o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

[snip]

>No it's not. It's just that in many cases, the "things" (such as
>lightbulbs, etc) are easiest to mass-market with wifi. I mean would
>you want to run ethernet cabling to every "IoT Lightbulb" you want to
>put in your house?

I have no IOT lightbulbs or anything else. The only things missing from
my life as a result of lack of IOT are complexity, expense and security
problems.

Seriously, I can walk 20 feet to a wall switch, I can leave certain
lights on when I go on vacation, and if I really want lights and audio
to turn on and off, a few of these pieces of 1960s technology would
suffice:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Intermatic-15-Amp-24-Hour-Indoor-Plug-In-Timer-White-TN311K/205478760

>On the other hand, the "things" can also be HVAC units or other "big
>appliances" that're hardwired in; and it's probably easy enough to run
>an ethernet cable there.

Yeah, I just adore the idea of somebody hacking into my HVAC, turning
it down to 69 Fahrenheit, and freezing the coils. Or turning off my
fridge so everything spoils, melts and floods. Or perhaps turns on my
washing machine and, depending on how "digital" my washing machine is,
perhaps hack it to simply keep on filling so it overflows and floods my
home. And if I live on the 5th floor of a condo building, that makes me
responsible for water damage in several other units.

Really, except for security systems, I don't see the benefit of
connecting appliances/lights/HVAC to the Internet. I've never once said
"Boy, I wish my fridge could report its state to me and allow me to
control it remotely." I just don't grok IOT.

SteveT

Steve Litt