:: Re: [DNG] Request for information -…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumptes nous: [DNG] IOT tech description/rants Was Re: Request for information - - re: networking
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Request for information - - re: networking
Le 11/06/2023 à 09:45, dng@??? a écrit :
> On 11-06-2023 08:45, tito via Dng wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I really cannot find any good reason why I would want to connect
>> any "T" to the "IO" be it a light bulb, door lock, fridge, heater,
>> TV, car,  etc, besides being spied even more than it is already done
>> with my smartphone and PC.
>> In the future possessing a classic light bulb will be a sign of
>> political
>> opposition, but anyway it will work only if the smart light bulb holder
>> allows it, if the smart wall switch recognizes your fingerprint or
>> voice,
>> if the smart electric power meter thinks you have paid enough....
>> BTW the smart door lock don't lets me in today and the f...ing car
>> says it will not drive me autonomously to sea because the AI
>> thinks it is better that I go the the mall to enjoy the targeted
>> shopping experience.
>>
>> "O tempora, o mores"
>>
>> Ciao,
>> Tito
>
> I do have IOT devices like switches and sensors but all using Zigbee
> combined with Homeassistant (free and open software) and only local
> access, no cloud or app. Smart bulbs are useless when not used with a
> smart switch because they need to be always powered on. But when you
> have a smart switch or dimmer why use a smart bulb? Locks, TV, fridge
> or heater would be the last devices I would connect to the net.  Just
> a few sensors with Zigbee to monitor the situation and to notify you
> if needed is enough imo. There is not really a good reason to use wifi
> either but if you have too: on a separate vlan and all traffic to the
> outside blocked.

    My new water heater is allegedly smart and connected. Actually the
lazy plumber installed it because it is lighter than the previous one.
It cannot be adjusted to the max temperature if not connected, but I
don't want it to reach the company's server periodically and have it
hacked by the GPU. Anyway the server seems unreachable. It happened once
that I had to power-cycle it for reboot -- I mean reboot the water heater!

--     Didier