:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Fred
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
On 1/6/23 16:51, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 03:42:48PM -0700, Fred wrote:
>> Hi Ralph,
>> I changed to the netinstall iso this morning since that is what you asked me
>> to verify.
>
> That's fine. Let's stay with that one use case. Don't mix in any
> other. It's fine if you uuse the server iso or the netinstall iso;
> they have the same installer software and essentially only differ in
> the accompanying package pools.
>
>> Why do we have the cdrom involved?
>
> This ISO is of format iso9660 which traditionally is the filesystem
> used for CD (though there are other). So when you dd-ed the ISO onto a
> USB memory stick, then that memorystick has a first partition of type
> iso9660 and a second of type vfat. The installer will use the pathname
> /cdrom as mount point to mount that partition on.
>
> The installer is a linux kernel, and it finds whatever drives it finds
> with normal hotplug actions to build up the /dev directory of device
> nodes. Apparently it will find the memory stick as /dev/sdc and the
> first partition as /dev/sdc1. All that is due to how the BIOS presents
> the hardware to the kernel.
>
>> Earlier, I provided the results of blkid which showed /dev/sdc1 as type
>> iso9660 and /dev/sdc2 as vfat and the df -h showed /dev/sdc1 mounted on
>> /cdrom.
>>
>> ls /cdrom returns nothing.
>
> That is peculiar given that df says it has been successfully mounted.
> Or is this a different use case than the one with good blkid and df
> reports?
>

>> mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc1 /cdrom returns failed, no such file or
>> directory.
>
> Did you verify that directory /cdrom exists? If it doesn't you'll also
> need to create that.
>

>> I put the cd3 iso on a new Sandisk Cruzer I bought yesterday and I can mount
>> it on this computer and see the files are there. I can mount the sd/usb
>> card I was using yesterday on this computer and the files are there.
>>
>> I don't know what to do. Shouldn't everything needed for the net install be
>> on the sd/usb card with the installer?
>
> Everything needed for net install is on the iso, yes. That which is
> needed is split up into 2 parts: 1) an initrd that gets loaded by the
> boot loader, and 2) a package pool held as a filesystem.
>
> It's the same on netinstall and server (and desktop). Same installer,
> but different pools and (some slight difference in priming).
>
> Ralph.

Hi Ralph,
I started over with only the netinstall usb plugged in.
I used the plain install but when it came to configuring the network
there were problems. I use static manually assigned ip addresses and
the installer wants to use DHCP.

I started over with the expert install. This time on its own it went
through the detect and mount install media and completed without any
problem!

At the partition disk step I exited to the console.
blkid returned only sda1,2,3 already partitioned from a previous
attempt. The usb stick did not show up.

df -h showed:
tmpfs mounted on /run
devtmpfs mounted on /dev