:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
Top Pagina
Auteur: Fred
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Chimaera install problem
On 1/5/23 16:39, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 04:02:46PM -0700, Fred wrote:
>>>
>> Hi,
>> The boot problem has been solved. The computer has in addition to the bios
>> boot order/device setting accessed by F10 another boot menu accessed by F9
>> that allows selection of a device to actually, like now, boot from.
>>
>> This is a different thread from that one. The problem now is during the
>> install at the selection for loading the base system it presents a
>> Debootstrap error; Failed to determine the codename for the release.
>
> When you re-run an instllation, then stop at/before partitioning, and
> use Ctrl-Alt-F2 to enter a shell "in" the installer.
>
> Then do: df -h
> to verify that "/cdrom" is a mount point of "/dev/sd.1" (where . is
> the character [a-q] that identifies the SATA adapter for the USB)
>
> Then do: ls -l /cdrom/.disk
> to verify that the info file exists.
>
> Then do: cat /cdrom/.disk/info
> to verify that it's good.
>
> But, if all that works then the installation would proceed normally,
> so presumably something looks different for you.
>
> Ralph.

Hi Ralph,
I will try your exact steps here tomorrow. However, your earlier post
implied the .disk directory was in the root directory. I mounted the
usb sdb1 on another computer and found the .disk directory does not
exist. I created it and put the info file there as in the previous post.

I just checked on the problem pc.
df -h shows two entries:
tmpfs mounted on /run
devtmpfs mounted on /dev

This computer does not have a cdrom. It has a hard drive and a bunch of
USB ports. I put the cd3 .iso on another sd card with dd but it is not
detected as a cdrom. On another computer it shows up as sdb with no
partitions. If mounted as sdb it does show lots of files.
The installer in the problem pc is very single minded about wanting a
cdrom and I found no way to make it accept the cd3 usb (which shows up
as sdc).

If I have to I can buy a usb interface cdrom drive. However, the server
.iso should have everything included on the usb with the installer and
the cdrom should not be necessary.

Best regards,
Fred