:: Re: [DNG] Avoid the merge
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Joril
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Avoid the merge
Hi everyone!

On 13/12/22 12:57, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:

> Now that partition size is no longer an issue, some folks want to move
> everything to /usr because the reason for the split is gone. I think
> they've got things backwards. Everything should be moved out of /usr
> and back into / if you really care!

It looks like it all started (once again) on Fedora, in 2012:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
The main objective seems to be "Provide a simple way of mounting almost
the entire installed operating system read-only, atomically snapshot it,
or share it between multiple hosts to save maintenance and space."
So moving everything out of /usr would make that more troublesome

> Personally, I kind of like the idea of a separate /usr, even if it's
> only because of my own inertia ;-)

Sadly I fear that Devuan has too few people to fight on that hill too :/