:: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Daniel Reurich
A: devuan-dev
Asunto: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM login manager project
On 22/11/22 21:58, Rob Pearce wrote:
> On 22/11/2022 04:51, golinux@??? wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rob . . .
>>
>> Since no one has responded I'll step up to thank you for rescuing SLiM
>> from the dustbin! I have never seen what the default SLiM looks like
>> because Hellekin styled it before I got involved in theming the Devuan
>> releases. It was one of the first Devuan graphics that I fell in love
>> with! I do hope that Devuan will keep SLiM alive and available going
>> forward. FWIW the old version is still working just fine on Chimaera
>> but my needs are simple. It is up to those who package to have a look
>> and bring it in to Devuan if it has features that would be useful.
>
> Thanks for that encouraging response!
>
> I've had a look at the source from the Devuan git store and compared it.
> I think the package is applying most (but not all) of the patches Gentoo
> already had. The others were unnecessary on Devuan mostly because they
> allowed systemd support or similar. There may be known issues with
> certain PAM versions but, again, Devuan's "remain stable, not bleed the
> edge" policy is probably helping here.
>
> The fixes/features I've added that may be desirable are:
>
> - Correctly handle expired accounts, instead of logging in regardless.
> This is probably not something most users will notice but it bit me once.
>
> - Option to show a message on login failure. For some people, this would
> be more reassuring than the old behaviour of silently blanking the
> username and password boxes ready for a new user.
>
> - Option to retain the login name if authentication failed. A minor
> convenience thing for those who mistype their password.
>
> - A choice of how to specify sessions. The old upstream changed this
> from a list to a directory. The Gentoo maintainers patched it to allow
> either, which I have picked up (and corrected a bug in).
>
> - Fixed the log file handling. The old version would send some of its
> log messages into the void, now they all go where intended
>
> - A few security and resource leak fixes
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Looks like I was the last one to touch the slim code for Devuan about
the same time I last rescued it.

Your plan sounds good.  I suggest the easiest way is to fork our gitea
repo, make your desired changes to the upstream branch and then make a
pull request.  Once that is done we can build it.  I suggest you bump
the version to 1.4.0 as well.

Thank you for picking this up and running with it.

Cheers,
    Daniel
--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.