:: Re: [DNG] virtualbox
Página Inicial
Autor: Peter Duffy
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] virtualbox
Hi Tito, thanks for following up on this.

The main problem is that I'm trying to emulate the upgrade of a number
of interconnected boxes as a proof-of-concept. So I can't change
anything on the originals.

I've used the trick of copying the entire mysql directory a number of
times, and it works well in some situations. But it can't be used in
the current one. Basically, I'm trying to migrate a mysql 5.6 server to
the azure mysql server offering: the lowest version of mysql available
on the latter is 5.7, and it won't allow the import/upgrade of a 5.6
database. It also doesn't allow replication from mysql 5.6 - even
though mysql say that replication from 5.6 -> 5.7 is OK. To complicate
things further, the mysql 5.6 server has to be up 24/7.

At the moment, the 5.6 server has a slave server, also running 5.6, fed
using mysql replication in real-time. The option I'm looking at is to
upgrade the slave to mysql 5.7, check that replication still works,
dump out the 5.7 database on the slave (using mysqldump with the "dump-
slave=2" option which includes the binary log co-ordinates as a comment
in the dump) and then import it into the microsoft mysql box, setting
it up as a downstream slave. Given the potential pitfalls of this, I
want to try simulating it using local kit and hopefully hit and solve
at least some of the problems, before trying it for real. (Upgrading
mysql 5.6 to 5.7 is a nightmare: there are a number of 5.6 config
variables which if 5.7 sees them, it doesn't just ignore them - it
refuses to start! It just seems as though the 5.7 team had never heard
of the concept of backwards compatibility.)

I've been using mysqldump and importing dumps from it for years, and
never had a problem with it. When I first started having the problems
on the virtualbox VMs, I did try using the hex-blob option as an
experiment, but it didn't make a difference - the import still failed.
There just shouldn't be any binary zeros in the mysqldump output. The
import of the dump from the original server, on the ubuntu 14 physical
box which I've just set up, succeeded without a hitch. It's just got to
be something in virtualbox which is the problem, and it would be good
to know what (I use virtualbox for a lot of things - some quite
critical!).