:: [devuan-dev] Country codes.
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: onefang
A: devuan-dev
Temas antiguos: [devuan-dev] Meeting notes 2022-10-06
Asunto: [devuan-dev] Country codes.
When xx.deb.devuan.org was first proposed on IRC, I was just getting
ready to go to bed, but stayed up an extra hour to help discuss that. So
I probably wasn't fully awake at the time. lol

Now I have just woken up, but at least I've had brekky.

Also life has been getting in the way and I'm way behind on things I need
to do in general.

NOTE that all of this only applies to HTTP. HTTPS can't be supported by
DNS-RR coz the mirrors don't have the cert for deb.devuan.org, nor should
they. I don't know if FTP or rsync can support this sort of thing.
apt-panopticon doesn't test FTP nor rsync yet.

On 2022-10-11 09:35:03, B Stack wrote:
> ### bb|hcb
>
> #### Mirrors DNS round robin
> - `xx.deb.devuan.org` is now a redirector to `deb.devuan.org`. The
> point in adding that is pointing all country codes without a mirror
> serving them to `xx.deb.devuan.org` instead of `pkgmaster.devuan.org`.

Does this mean that all mirrors on the existing DNS-RR now have to
support xx.deb.devuan.org AS WELL AS the deb.devuan.org they support now?
Or is it setup so that they can stick with their existing deb.devuan.org
support?

Currently when a user does apt requests from deb.devuan.org, the DNS
system gives them some random IP from our DNS-RR, and apt then sends that
IP a request asking for the deb.devuan.org domain, and that mirrors
server has to be configured to respond to deb.devuan.org requests with
the usual Devuan package mirror responses.

If this new xx.deb.devuan.org thing results in requests for
deb.devuan.org being sent to the mirrors, then the mirrors don't have to
change anything. Which is my preference. Much simpler from my / mirror
admins point of view.

Naturally any mirror that volunteers to support a CC.deb.devuan.org
should configure their mirror accordingly. Though having them configured
to support a wildcard .deb.devuan.org covers all the things.

> - Is it time to make the `CC.deb.devuan.org` official and announce it?

I suspect yes, though see below.

> As far as I am aware the only pending thing for this is to make
> `apt-panopticon` to automatically change the mirror list.

Ah apt-panopticon is not yet actually testing CC.deb.devuan.org, but it
should. Might be best to have those tests in place before we announce
"CC.deb.devuan.org is official", but on the other hand announcing
"CC.deb.devuan.org is coming back once we iron out the kinks, feel free
to help us test it" probably should be announced now.

Back in the day there was this TODO item to have apt-panopticon driving
DNS-RR. https://sledjhamr.org/mantisbt/view.php?id=142 where you can see
that I have been really slack about doing that. lol

To summarize, three separate instances of apt-panopticon could vote on
who should be in the DNS-RR for the next ten minutes (until they all run
their tests again). Then they somehow cryptographically let the DNS-RR
know about the results of that vote so that it can update deb.devuan.org
to point to the current good ones.

Alas we only have two running every ten minutes, since rrq wanted his
borta instance to only run once an hour. So sledjhamr and veritas run
every ten minutes. Each run on all but borta takes about a minute.

https://borta.devuan.dev/apt-panopticon/results/Report-web.html
https://sledjhamr.org/apt-panopticon/results/Report-web.html
http://veritas.devuan.org/apt-panopticon/results/Report-web.html

Borta is in Australia, sledjhamr is in Netherlands, and I think veritas
is in France. Would be nice to have one in the Americas somewhere as
well. All three apt-panopticon instances tend to be in general agreement
most of the time.

Currently there is a master file on pkgmaster with the details of every
package mirror. A cron job runs every hour to update the DNS-RR based on
that, and also updates https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/mirror_list.txt I
keep an eye on the apt-panopticons and manually edit that master file.
It's very rare that I need to make changes, our package mirrors tend to
be good most of the time. Note that this cron job is also updating the
CC.deb.devuan.org DNS-RR. In the apt-panopticon main results table you
can see a red question mark instead of a green tick in the "DNS round
robin" column for any DNS-RR mirror that I have deemed "not acceptable
for now".

Also more code would need to be added to figure out "all country codes
without a mirror" so we can point them at xx.deb.devuan.org. The
existing cron job that parses the master file has enough info, or I could
add it to apt-panopticon's DNS-RR deliberations.

I have been thinking for a while that a better option than the complex
cryptograph voting system would be to simply run apt-panopticon on
pkgmaster. Though obviously that would increase the bandwidth load a
bit. rrq should be able to give us some details on what the load on
borta and veritas is, I can't separate out the sledjhamr load from all
the other things it does. Which means the pkgmaster apt-panopticon can
directly change that master file, and the cron job can update DNS-RR as
usual. On the other hand, if we manage to move some of the bandwidth
load off pkgmaster with these shenanigans, then it could probably afford
this extra apt-panopticon load.

BTW the sledjhamr instance uses less bandwidth than the others, coz it's
also one of the mirrors that it checks, so doesn't use any bandwidth
checking itself. Which is also why the speed of sledjhamr as measured on
the sledjhamr apt-panopticon is incredibly fast. Local SSD beats
Internet across the globe hands down. B-)

So we could have pkgmaster run apt-panopticon from the cron job that
updates DNS-RR, and that apt-panopticon updates the master file, so that
later in the cron job the master file is used to change the DNS-RR. Then
have the cron job run every ten minutes as originally planned, or once an
hour like it does now, or split the difference.

I had already designed apt-panopticon to have output modules, and it
already has a few. Adding one more isn't hard.

It should be noted that the first thing apt-panopticon does is to check
pkgmaster for changes, which wont use any extra bandwidth running on
pkgmaster. Apt-panopticon is built to keep it's bandwidth needs low,
mostly by picking out the smallest test packages to download from the
mirrors, and only doing some downloads when things change.

apt-panopticon is written in Lua / LuaJIT, which is not currently
installed on pkgmaster. May need some rrd packages as well.