:: [devuan-dev] Future of my "paddy-ha…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Olaf Meeuwissen
À: devuan-dev
CC: dng
Sujet: [devuan-dev] Future of my "paddy-hack" Devuan Docker images
Hi,

Some five years ago I started a little project on GitLab.com to build
Devuan Docker images. Images were built and pushed to the project's
registry by CI/CD on a monthly schedule. Until 2021-07-03, that is,
when a change to GitLab's shared runners broke the build.

The project is at https://gitlab.com/paddy-hack/devuan.

There were regular images for all of jessie, ascii, beowulf, chimaera
and ceres as well as slim, builder and helper variants. Together they
gobbled up some 30GiB in disk space in my personal project space.

Now GitLab.com is making changes to their Free Tier offering, which is
what I'm using, and one of those is a 5GiB storage limit on personal
(and other top-level) namespaces. This change will come into effect on
or after 2022-10-19. Nothing will be removed but one will not be able
to write any new data past that cap. That is, as soon as the limit is
enforced I can no longer use my personal GitLab.com namespace.

That sucks!

I could purchase additional 10GiB storage chunks at USD60/year but if I
had that kind of money to burn, I think donating it to Devuan would be a
much better investment. I could also apply for an Open Source Program
(and re-apply every year) to try and get an Ultimate license which comes
with 250GB of storage (and 500GB transfer/month). However, I think it
might be a better idea to move the images to the Devuan project and its
infrastructure.

That is, if they are still wanted/needed in the first place. If so, I
am willing to help with any migration and volunteer for their continued
maintenance. I guess adding daedalus and excalibur would be one of the
first things to do after migrating. A policy regarding the keeping of
historic builds might also need some discussion.

# Or maybe Devuan could be added to the Docker Official Images...

Anyway, I need to do something about my GitLab.com storage consumption
(and not only for the devuan images!) soonish so I've moved all the
images that were on GitLab.com to a localhost registry just in case.
Only a few of these images are still available via GitLab.com, for the
time being, and mostly not to break the daily dyne/devuan builds ;-)

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen