:: Re: [DNG] Another problem you won't…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Another problem you won't have without Systemd (or separate oomd)
On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 05:31:58PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 20/08/2022 à 10:20, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> > oomd may make sense in certain cloud based workloads, maybe, just maybe.
> > However… on a desktop? You are frigging kidding me, aren't you?
>
>     Well, it can happen to anybody to write an application which leaks
> memory. The oom killer is automatically launched by the kernel when memory
> pressure is too high, and it is a necessity. The problem here is with
> systemd's oom killer, and/or with Gnome.

Just wondering ... Is there a way to tell the oom killer which processes to preferentially kill? And which ones are worth keeping around?

It would have to be done ahead of time, of course, because once memory is so overextended that the oom killer is needed, it's often futile to try to enter commands.

Is there a way to keep the response on the system console (on my machine that's the ctl-alt-F1 session) up so I can choose which errant process to kill and pre-empt oom's choice?

-- hendrik