:: Re: [DNG] connman missing from syst…
Top Pagina
Auteur: B Stack
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] connman missing from system menu
On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 5:22 PM Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-08-18 at 12:20 +1000, wirelessduck--- via Dng wrote:
> >

> > > On 18 Aug 2022, at 02:52, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> > >
> > > My experience with LXDE and Openbox is that the system menu is pretty much given
> > > you on LXDE/Openbox install. My experience based on LXDE and Openbox on Ubuntu,
> > > Debian and Void is that installing a package doesn't put the package's
> > > executable in
> > > the LXDE or Openbox system menu. This is why I use dmenu as my main menu. Dmenu
> > > is
> > > faster and requires no mouse.
> > >
> > > SteveT
> >
> > Can dmenu search and run applications from .desktop files like the xfce4-
> > appfinder, or does it just search through executables in bin/ directories? I’ve
> > been looking for an xfce4-appfinder replacement without dbus dependency.
> >
> > Tom
>
> If all your .desktop files are in the same directory, you could write a simple
> companion shellscript to list them, allow you to select one, and run it.
>
> As far as dbus, at 14 I walked a mile to dbus in order to go to dschool.
>
> SteveT

I use a package for my fluxbox menu to interpret all those
/usr/share/application/*.desktop files: xdgmenumaker [0]. I package it
for myself in my OBS repository [1] for Devuan Ceres. It requires a
step in the ~/.fluxbox/startup to run and update the menu for the
user, because it will also interpret the ~/.local/share/applications
as part of that XDG specification (which, is the same group of people
as systemd, so take this with few grains of salt!).

[0]: https://github.com/gapan/xdgmenumaker/
[1]: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:bgstack15/xdgmenumaker

-- B. Stack