:: Re: [DNG] mutt attachment problem
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Antony Stone
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] mutt attachment problem
On Monday 22 August 2022 at 18:10:53, Haines Brown wrote:

> I usually have no problem sending attachments with mutt. But now I
> want to send a directory that holds files:
>
> ./patthToDirectory/directory
>
> This does not work because I gather attachements must be
> single files. Is not a directory a single file?.

Highly technically, yes, a directory is a single file, however it is a file
containing filenames and links to inodes, which are the locations on disk of
the data in those files.

So, although you might find some way of sending the file "." to someone, they
would nto receive the content of the files - at best, they would receive a list
of the names, and pointers to where they reside on the file system in your
computer.

> So I zipped the directory. But when I try to attach it I get the error

Please show us exactly how you attached it.

> "Error sending message, child exited 1 ()"

Is that really it - "Error sending message"? No further information about
what the error is?

> My fishing on line did not find a solution. What is this "child"? Is
> it the attachment process?

I do not know mutt well enough to speculate on an answer to that.

> The size of the zip file is 164 Mb

Just in case it's actually your mail service provider responding to your mail
client trying to send such a large message, try the same thing but with a
small zip file (such as 2Mb) to see whether that nakes the difference.

Antony.

--
"Tannenbaumschmuck" is a perfectly reasonable German word
meaning Christmas tree decorations, and is not a quote from Linus Torvalds.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.