:: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Top Pagina
Auteur: Fred
Aan: dng
Nieuwe Onderwerpen: [DNG] Multi-button mice Re: mouse driver question
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
On 4/23/22 02:34, karl@??? wrote:
> Fred:
>> On 4/22/22 15:31, karl@??? wrote:
>>>    gpm -b 1200 -m /dev/ttyS1 -t msc
>> It shows up at /dev/ttyUSB0.  I have tried that command line several
>> times.  Nothing happens.  ps -e shows gpm is running.  The pointer will
>> not move and the mouse buttons have no effect.

> You have to be aware that gpm is for virtual consoles:
>
> $ man gpm | grep 'gpm - '
>         gpm - a cut and paste utility and mouse server for virtual consoles

> So in X11, openbox etc. graphical environment, it has no effect unless
> you take special action. With graphical environment I mean bitmapped as
> opposed to character (i.e. letters) based graphics.
>
> Testing with gpm is best done without X11, so stop your window manager
> (obenbox) and exit from X11. If you then is presented with a greeter
> (also called display manager, see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_display_manager_(program_type)
> ), see if you can stop the greeter.
>
> Also testing has to be done as root.
>
> So, make sure you are running in a virtual console and logged in as
> root, then run the gpm -b etc. thing and move the mouse around.
>
> To make the mouse to work in X11, please test the mouse with gpm in
> a console first to assert basic functionality, and then come back.
>
> Regards,
> /Karl Hammar

Hi,
I understand now. I was stuck on gpm because it worked some time ago on
Debian Jessie. I was not ready to continue with it then because I still
had use of my Sun workstation. The Sun is gone now, I was able to move
the application program to Linux and now I need a three button mouse
without the scroll wheel that works with X11. Maybe the Sun mouse.

A previous post mentioned xorg.conf which doesn't appear to exist in
Devuan Beowulf (AMD64).

So, where do I go from here?

Best regards,
Fred