:: Re: [DNG] Latex install question
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Steve Litt
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Latex install question
STOP!!!

Don't do anything until reading this message. Remainder bottom posted.

Fred said on Fri, 11 Mar 2022 08:02:23 -0700

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to compile a program which expects that Latex is
>installed. There are a number of Latex related packages in the
>repository but it is not apparent which is a base package. What
>package(s) should I install for more or less general usage?
>
>Best regards,
>Fred

Hi Fred,

I've been using LyX, and hence LaTeX, for 20 years. There are two
different and contradictory ways to install LaTeX. One is with your
distro's package manager, the other is direct from CTAN (Comprehensive
TEX Archive Network). Either way you install **TeXLive**, not MacTeX or
Micky Mouse TeX (for windows I presume) or any of the other TeXes.

I installed from CTAN, much to the dismay of my distro's movers and
shakers, so that I can manage my TeX and LaTeX with the very nice tlmgr
program.

The advantage of my way is that you can get absolutely any facility
supported by CTAN, instead of just the stuff my distro deems necessary.
The disadvantage of my way is that every year fonts start to break, and
you need to install all of the next year's packages and run texhash. If
you choose my way, email me (reminding me of this email) when you start
having fonts magically go bad.

Because I write books that I sell, I absolutely need every last
provision of LaTeX, hence my CTAN decision. If you're just doing
something one-off and simple, your distro's LaTeX package might suit
you more.

If you do it my way, here's the starting point for download and
understanding:

https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm