:: Re: [DNG] Kernel Vulnerabilities or…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Ken Dibble
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Kernel Vulnerabilities or who understands this mess
On 3/10/22 04:29, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ken Dibble <ken@???> writes:
>
>> Well, a consequence of this investigation was that I was forced to
>> double check some things.
>>
>> The thing I found is that the default /etc/apt/sources.list has
>> chimaera-updates and chimaera-security commented out.
>> Is this really well thought out?
>> I would think that most people would want those enabled.
> The *-security entry is enabled by default, IIRC, *unless* the installer
> was not able to contact it. This *may* have happened if you used an
> installer while chimaera was not yet released. Obviously, if you
> installed without a network connection, it will be disabled.
>
> Your sources.list should have appropriate comments if the installer
> disabled it.
>
> Whether you want *-updates enabled is debatable.
>
> And while writing this up I suddenly seem to remember the installer
> asking me what to enable/disable. That may have been an advanced mode
> installation though.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> Olaf Meeuwissen                    FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
>   GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13  F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
>   Support Free Software                        https://my.fsf.org/donate
>   Join the Free Software Foundation              https://my.fsf.org/join

For a sanity check, I did a fresh install in a vm.  Indeed, things are
as you suggested they should be.

I have to assume that I made the same mistake repeatedly, on multiple
installs, choosing a wrong option somewhere, as all the devices had
identical sources.list files and there were no comments in any of them
about the network being unavailable (I rarely have network connectivity
issues).  The only choice that I can think of would have been during the
install, declining additional sources, thinking that it only meant local
physical media.

Sorry for the noise, and thanks again.

Ken