:: [DNG] "xdg-open" alternative for "o…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
A: dng
Assumpte: [DNG] "xdg-open" alternative for "open" ... what?
I ran into this som days ago and want to ask for your opinion:

"xdg-utils" on chimera installs an alternative to itself as "/etc/alternative/open" and an alternative manpage "/etc/alternative/open.1.gz". In consequence "man open" does not give the "open" manpage from section 2 as it did till chimera, but the manpage of "xdg-open" - which is quite surprising, as the alternative does not fall in category 1 pf the manpages but IMO at best in category 7. There are a lot of other programs that "open" something, but non is so blunt to call itself THE open-command that deserves category 1. Also it's toatally unclear why that alternative exists in the first place, 'cause no program uses "open" when it wants to call "xdg-open". It could be that stuff from freedesktop.org uses "open" instead of "xdg-open" now, but that does not make any sense and I have not found any evidence of this.

What's your take on this?

Nik