:: Re: [DNG] Scheme/Lisp: was What is …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Nikolaus Klepp
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Scheme/Lisp: was What is your take on finit?
Anno domini 2022 Tue, 1 Feb 12:01:56 -0500
Steve Litt scripsit:
> Nikolaus Klepp via Dng said on Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:55:30 +0100
>
> >Anno domini 2022 Tue, 1 Feb 11:44:37 -0500
> > Steve Litt scripsit:
>
> >> In the hands of anything but a very careful and
> >> security-knowledgeable programmer, writing Python3 is more secure
> >> than writing C. You could think of Python3 as C with seatbelts and
> >> airbags, and a heck of an inefficient transmission.
> >
> >When it comes to this, I still prefer Scheme/Lisp seatbelts and
> >airbags. But that's most likely because I have a grey beard and the
> >first "high level" languages where indentation kicked my butt were
> >fortran and cobol. Seeing that resurrected in python is like return of
> >the living dead ...
> >
> >Nik
>
> Hi Nik,
>
> I've been trying for over a decade to learn Scheme, or any other
> functional programming language. I've failed every time. Since 1982
> I've been a structured programmer using functional decomposition as a
> design method. I can do OOP, although I'm not that impressed by it.
>
> How can I acquire the proper mindset to do Scheme or other functional
> languages the right way, so I can finally start functional programming
> that doesn't have a C accent?

Hi Steve,

This is a good talk on functionl programming for non-functional programmers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0if71HOyVjY

A good book helps a lot https://www.scheme.com/tspl4/ - get the printed version, it's better to read.

And an IDE. Some like emacs, I prefer drracket https://racket-lang.org - (when you want to do GUIs look at racket-gui-easy - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHn3px69jb1bx5EOWyCIgFg ) Don't get fooled by pythoneers teaching pythonised scheme.

And then start a little project without using any of the assignment functions like set! :)

Nik