:: Re: [DNG] What is your take on fini…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: karl
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] What is your take on finit?
Steve Litt:
> I read the docs at https://troglobit.com/projects/finit/ , and have
> some opinions technically...

I don't see the point in letting init do serious process monitoring.
Just use a minimal init and startup a separate process monitoring
daemon (or what theese things are called).

> Ability to run foreground daemons is a huge asset when you make your
> own daemons. Any C, Python, Perl, Ruby, Lua, Java, PHP, C++, Pascal,
> bash, /bin/sh, or pretty much any other program that loops forever
> doing its job can be made into a daemon by an init that accepts
> foreground daemons. This is revolutionary, because it means the daemon
> author no longer needs to write the (non-trivial) self-backgrounding
> code. I have several home-made no-backgrounding daemons running, and
> those wouldn't be possible with finit.

I don't see the point, learn to write good deamons. It seems the need
to use theese process monitors has sprung up from the availability
of shitty deamons.
In my view, when a deamon dies by any other cause than from your will
then it shall die so hard that it causes a major headacke and the shitty
programmer should be publicly flogged as a reminder and example to other
programmers -- well not really, but you get my point.

Most deamons I have run, they just run, they don't need a process monitor
except me.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar