:: Re: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Joel Roth
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Configuring ethernet port for IPv6 - broken hardware revealed by dmesg
On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 12:05:06PM -0700, Bob Proulx via Dng wrote:
> Joel Roth wrote:
> > Gregory Nowak wrote:
> > > Is there anything different in the dmesg(1) output for eth1 than
> > > for your other interfaces?
> >
> > bingo:
> >
> > [467072.902423] e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: Hardware Error
> > This is a used Thinkpad pad, recently purchased.
> > Fortunately usb-ethernet adapters are easily available.
>
> This is very odd. Thinkpads have been very robust and reliable and
> used so much that they have been somewhat of a reference platform for
> many years. The e1000 driver family is very commonly used and is in
> the kernel main.
>
> I suggest booting a live boot image on your Thinkpad and seeing if the
> wired interface works using one of those. That would eliminate
> something corrupted in your current installation. It's easy to do.
> It is a good quick second opinion on the network hardware.
>
> Also, how did you install this system? Did you use a "netinstall"
> image originally? Using the wired ethernet or WiFi? Because if you
> installed using wired ethernet (the most typical way I install) then
> at install time the netinstall image was working okay with your wired
> ethernet.
>
> Booting a netinstall image in "Rescue Mode" (under the advanced
> options) would also be a safe way to test if the hardware is working
> under a live boot system. And if this is a recent install using a
> netinstall image then it's one you already have available.

Great suggestions. I think I've benefitted from your advice
several times of the years, directly and from reading your posts.

I booted from a different kernel, same result from ip addr
show eth1.

2: eth1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 28:d2:44:1a:e0:ca brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I'll try with a live CD, or USB drive. I've got a hard
drive in the CD bay at the moment. The notebook is new used, but
the system has been the same (with upgrades) for
probably 15 years. I haven't done a fresh installation
for a long time (except as a VM).

What a great resource you are, oh bearded ones!